Monday, September 3, 2007

Charity Begins in the Heart

This week’s lesson focuses on this question, “knowing that the Lord has given so much to you, including the sacrifice He made at Calvary, what will you offer Him today?”


In 2 Corinthians 8:1—15, we are inspired to give unto the Lord by four examples of giving. Though they were poor and suffered many afflictions, the believers in the Macedonian churches gave generously to the church in Jerusalem. The Corinthian church was encouraged to finish the collection they started a year ago to help the Jerusalem church.


The account of the gathering of manna taught us the principle of proportionate giving or equality – we are to give “according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.” God never asks us to give more than we can afford; however, we can not afford to give less than what God has given to us. We cannot out give God.


The most powerful motivation for us to give is the example of our Lord Jesus Christ. He came to earth in poverty and died for us. For our sakes He became poor (2 Cor. 8:9). By His death we became rich. We have spiritual riches in abundance in Christ.


We must give of ourselves first and foremost to the Lord and through the enabling power of the Holy Spirit; we can give of our time, talents, and treasures.


As I survey my life, I am humbled, blessed, and grateful by God’s abounding grace. God has always met my needs and bestowed much more. Through the difficult times while growing up poor and without an earthly father, my Savior provided grace for each day and gave me hope for a brighter tomorrow. Today, I am a living testimony of His marvelous love, providence, and sovereignty in the lives of His children.

Do I dare to offer my Lord anything less than my best today?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a good message on stewardship. I find myself asking, "Do I really need another new shirt or can I give to a missionary in India to further the gospel in Asia?" I think we deceive ourselves into believing that we can serve both God and money, when the Bible clearly states that we cannot. Are we truly serving God or idols of the heart?