Sunday, September 23, 2007

Contend for the Faith

We are blessed by the Apostle Paul’s self-sacrificing life. It is because of his strong godly testimony that he effectively dealt with self-serving false teachers of 2 Corinthians 11 and defended the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The false teachers could not even hold a candle to Paul’s knowledge, experience, strength and love.

The Apostle Paul was not a smooth-talker like the Judaizers, but he knew, taught, and lived the truth of the gospel. He was passionate about his calling to spread the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He endured much persecution, trials, hardships, and loneliness for the sake of spreading God’s fame.

We are reminded in Jude 1:3 and 4 to “earnestly contend for the faith” against false teachers who pervert the truth. There will come a time in our life, as believers, when we will need to defend our faith and stand for the truth. Contending for the faith requires us to have a strong Christian testimony.

The challenge for us believers is what can we do today to ensure a good testimony? The answer is for us to relentless pursue holiness, live with convictions, stand for the truth, always show grace, and meet trials with faith.

I am rebuked as I survey my life and acknowledge how inadequate my testimony is for my savior Jesus Christ. I wince at the thought of persecution, hardship, and rejection. Compared to the life of the Apostle Paul and persecuted brethren around the world today, I live a life of much comfort and ease. If I have but just a little bit of the courage, passion, wisdom and love that the Apostle Paul possessed, then I would have achieved something worthwhile in this life.

No comments: