Sunday, August 26, 2007

True Repentance Brings Relief

As I reflect on our lesson this morning on Biblical confrontation and true repentance, I am rebuked by my weakness in not Biblically confronting fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord who have sinned. In addition, I am convicted of the need to genuinely repent of sins in my life and get right with Almighty God.

I am reminded of two wonderful verses in Psalms which inspire and humble me:

· “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.” (Psalm 51:17)

· “The LORD is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.” (Psalm 34:18)

May we acknowledge the sovereignty of God in our lives and diligently pursue holiness till the end of our days. May we care enough for others to lovingly and Biblically confront them so they truly become sorrowful for their sin and be restored to the Lord. In the process, we may have helped to keep them from the gates of destruction.

In essence, Biblical confrontation and true repentance is critical to our spiritual growth. When we take steps to confront sin and help bring about repentance, the broken bridge in the relationship with God is rebuilt. The result is marvelous peace enveloping us when there is nothing between us and the Savior.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good message! Sorry to have missed it this morning, as I was in another Sunday school class.